Sunday, December 13, 2015

Pizza in the Mornin' - How to make delicious breakfast pizza

Good Morning. If you're reading this, then you likely look past the Cheerios and Greek Yogurt when you start your day. You need something more, something perhaps more like what you had last night for dinner. You need all that breakfast can offer, but in a way that only pizza can deliver.

I too have been there, and on one morning I decided to take action. I shall now share my secret to what I proclaim to be the best breakfast food I've eaten...and you can eat it too!



Sure it may look like rabbit droppings on scrambled eggs (quite the visual eh?), but I assure you, it will be one of the best breakfast pies you taste. And here's how I did it:

1. Pizza crust from Meijer (WHOLE GRAIN!)
  • The Whole Grain Pizza crust from Meijer (or "Meijer's" as Michiganders say) is pre-made and does very well for this breakfast meal. Hearty, quick, and still good quality, this crust is a must.
2. Fresh Spinach
  • Spinach gives this pie an omelette feel, plus, pizza is traditionally ignored as a healthy meal. Add some spinach and even Popeye can stand behind this idea!
3. Meijer brand Pizza Sauce
  • Once again I've got to go with Meijer for ingredients. This sauce is GREAT! 
NOW I HAVE TO STOP YOU RIGHT THERE! PIZZA SAUCE?! FOR BREAKFAST?!

Okay folks, put the gun down and walk away...just trust me. I know your first inkling is to use sausage gravy, or just to butter the crust like toast, or whatever. But we're talking about pizza here! And pizza has, sauce. So, now that it's out there, I'll continue...

4. Scrambled Eggs
  • Get eggs....they come from chickens? Just buy some? 
5. Hash Browns from Trader Joe's
  • McDonald's has famously made hash browns for decades with breakfast. Trader Joe's (I promise you) has frozen hash browns that taste exactly like Micky D's! Fry them, or bake, it makes no difference. But once they're ready, cut them into small squares as you see here, and spread as a topping around the pizza.
6. Sausage!
  • Believe it or not, what you see in that picture is NOT real sausage. It's actually Morningstar Vegan Sausage. I know, I just lost half of my readers...but stay with me I beg of you! Any sausage will do! I tried the vegan stuff in the pursuit of creativity and variety, It actually tasted pretty good! 
7. CHEESE!!!
  • Once again I would direct you to Trader Joe's...they have a Quattro Formaggio shredded cheese which I submit to you will change your life (at least improve your golf swing). I used this specific cheese on my breakfast pizza, and I haven't gone back.
So, all in all, you throw it together like a pizza, and put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. It comes out looking incredible. Now, the flavor is equally as good, but prepare yourselves folks (remember the sauce vs. gravy freak out about 300 words ago?), the pizza sauce will add a slight sweet character to the pizza, but it is not a distraction. The slight sweet plays nicely off the salty cheese and savory sausage. The spinach adds an earthy flavor and the hash browns bring tears to your lacrimal ducts. You will not be disappointed! It all takes about 40 mins (AT MOST) to put together and prepare. That's mostly because of the hash browns. But if you have the time on a Saturday/Sunday morning, you deserve to east this well. Especially, as a pizza fanatic!


3 comments:

  1. I went to the store to try and get eggs. They told me they didn't have any, because "sir this is a Best Buy." I like the style of this post, but you need more specific instructions on where to find ingredients. 4/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete